Circumcision is a very sensitive topic because a lot of women lives has been turned upside down because of the negative consequences of being circumcised.
A lot of debates have been going on and articles have been written over the years on the subject of circumcision, this article will highlight major facts that could clear the airs on some of the myths, misconceptions and certain facts about circumcision.
As much as I’m going to talk briefly about male circumcision here, the essence of this topic is not majorly about circumcision but to resolve issues and answer the numerous questions I’ve been getting about the impact of circumcision on the female folks, or better put, female genital mutilation FGM. Most marriages are in shambles because of this and there is need to talk about this crucial aspect of human life.
Male circumcision is the removal of the foreskin from the human penis. Most parents circumcise their male child based on cultural, religion or medical issues. some religion totally frown against not performing circumcisions on a male child so also are some cultures. Even though some experts say that circumcision could reduce sexual sensation in men, but, studies show that there is no significant change in sensation in adult men who undergo circumcision. According to Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger, director of urology at New York Urology Specialists. A 2016 study confirmed this finding that men who were circumcised experienced the same level of sexual pleasure as men who were not. Medical Doctors also believed male circumcision cut down on the risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and urinary tract infections (UTIs), which, if left untreated, can lead to kidney infections.
That is by the way, now to female circumcision which for the benefit of this topic, i will refer to as female genital mutilation. Female genital mutilation (FGM), also known as female genital cutting and female circumcision, is the ritual cutting or removal of some or all of the external female genitalia. The practice is found in Africa, Asia and the Middle East, and within communities from countries in which FGM is common.
According to world health organization:
– Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or cause injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons. The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.
– Procedures can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later cysts, infections, as well as complications in childbirth and increased risk of newborn deaths.
– More than 200 million girls and women alive today have been cut in 30 countries in Africa, the Middle East and Asia where FGM is concentrated.
– FGM is mostly carried out on young girls between infancy and age 15.
– FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
– There are lot of medical risks associated with FGM according to world health organizations
There are four major type of FGM:
Type 1: Often referred to as clitoridectomy, this is the partial or total removal of the clitoris (a small, sensitive and erectile part of the female genitals), and in very rare cases, only the prepuce (the fold of skin surrounding the clitoris).
Type 2: Often referred to as excision, this is the partial or total removal of the clitoris and the labia minora (the inner folds of the vulva), with or without excision of the labia majora (the outer folds of skin of the vulva ).
Type 3: Often referred to as infibulation, this is the narrowing of the vaginal opening through the creation of a covering seal. The seal is formed by cutting and repositioning the labia minora, or labia majora, sometimes through stitching, with or without removal of the clitoris (clitoridectomy).
Type 4: This includes all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, e.g. pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterizing the genital area.
FGM & ORGASM
I stumbled on a campaign on twitter recently where a group of young men came together to campaign against marrying a women whose genitals has been mutilated. They believe this will discourage parents from continuing with the barbaric act, as women who are circumcised mostly find it difficult to get sexually aroused and this is causing a lot of friction with their men. The question is, how do you blame a woman for a circumstance she has no control over, it is bad enough that she’s suffering from self esteem issue and struggles with sexual arousal.
This is to tell you the impact FGM has on sexual relationships. FGM is wrong, its barbaric and no one should be made to pass through a lifetime of trauma caused by this negative act. But if you have already be circumcised, and the deed has been done, what are the basic facts you need to know so you can live your life and still enjoying sexual act to the fullest?
- The vagina of a circumcised woman is usually bald, less fleshy, no or little clot and sometimes no labia.
- Women who are circumcised usually have low self esteem looking at other ladies with protruding and more fleshy vagina.
- Women who are circumcised often believe that they can never enjoy sex and therefore resigned to fate of not making efforts.
- Even though the clitoris( made up of about 8,000 nerve endings) is removed or party removed, as long as the base is still there, there is still possibility of sensitivity.
- Partners of circumcised women needs to be patient with them, take their time, make extra efforts and master their skills for them to be able to enjoy sex.
- When it comes to the art of lovemaking, and achieving orgasm, there’s need to put effort as a woman.
- Even though some men believed that uncircumcised women are sweeter in bed because they are more fleshy, research shows that circumcision doesn’t necessarily determine how sweet a woman will be in bed.
- Even though It takes longer period for a circumcised woman to get sexually aroused or satisfied, but she can be satisfied
Are you struggling with sexual satisfaction in your marriage or your woman is always cold and uninterested in sex, reach out here to book a sex therapy appointment. CLICK HERE OR CALL +2348184575377